Tuesday, September 8th 2015
Quote of the Day:
YOURSELF- are
you walking in
silently? Getting
down to
BUSINASSS
(business really)
right away?? You
got this scholars :)
Happy Tuesday. I hope today brings
Happy Tuesday. I hope today brings
you joy and you choose happiness
instead of struggle, and you choose to
own your learning , instead of
complain about it. Today is a new day
to breathe, live, and discover your
leadership skills.
DO NOW: Hand your homework in (if it is not already submitted on classroom) and take your assigned seat.
By now, everyone should have a notebook. Please copy down the following terms and reflect on what they mean in your own life.
Silent launch: When I shake hands with Ms. Mueller upon entering class, it is an agreement that I am ready to be silent and start my work.
Voice: This means that when I speak in class, I use proper voice, proper language and volume. I also answer class questions in a full sentence.
Academic Mindset: I am here to learn. I am here to get an education and become a leader. I am NOT here to waste anyone's time, especially my own.
Growth Mindset: I believe that my abilities can be developed through dedication and hard work. Brains and talent are just the starting point. I can achieve anything I set my mind to.
JOURNAL RESPONSE:
What is a "safe space"? Make a list of things you think should be allowed or not allowed in a safe space. Include at least 5 things.
Share out your answers with your elbow partner.
Whole group share out.
Copy down the definition of "safe space". This is your 5th vocabulary concept. We will have an in-class quiz when we reach 10 vocabulary concepts.
A Safe Space is a place where anyone can be able to fully express themselves without fear of being made to feel uncomfortable, unwelcome or unsafe on account of gender, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, cultural background, religious affiliation, physical appearance, age, or physical or mental ability.
It is a place where the rules guard each person's self-respect and dignity and strongly encourage everyone to respect others.
Homework: On the front page of your poetry packet, write three sentences (minimum) about a time you made an assumption about another person and what the consequences were. This will be collected.
Poem: Together, we will read a poem aloud. As I read, please actively listen. Write down at least two observations, questions, comments in the margins.
The Cookie Thief by Valerie Cox
A woman was waiting at an airport one night
With several long hours before her flight
She hunted for a book in the airport shop
Bought a bag of cookies and found a place to drop
She was engrossed in her book but happened to see
That the man beside her as bold as could be
Grabbed a cookie or two from the bag between
Which she tried to ignore to avoid a scene
She munched cookies and watched the clock
As this gutsy cookie thief diminished her stock
She was getting more irritated as the minutes ticked by
Thinking "If I wasn't so nice I'd blacken his eye"
With each cookie she took he took one too
And when only one was left she wondered what he'd do
With a smile on his face and a nervous laugh
He took the last cookie and broke it in half
He offered her half as he ate the other
She snatched it from him and thought "Oh brother
This guy has some nerve and he's also rude
Why he didn't even show any gratitude"
She had never known when she had been so galled
And sighed with relief when her flight was called
She gathered her belongings and headed for the gate
Refusing to look back at the thieving ingrate
She boarded the plane and sank in her seat
Then sought her book which was almost complete
As she reached in her baggage she gasped with surprise
There was her bag of cookies in front of her eyes
"If mine are here" she moaned with despair
"Then the others were his and he tried to share"
"Too late to apologize she realized with grief"
That she was the rude one, the ingrate, the thief.
Whole class share out: What are some THEMES or LESSONS we can take away from this poem? Write your lesson or theme on a post-it. We will place these on a poster paper as a reminder not to make assumptions about each other.
Homework: On the front page of your poetry packet, write three sentences (minimum) about a time you made an assumption about another person and what the consequences were. This will be collected.
BE SURE TO HAVE AN INDEPENDENT READING BOOK BY BLOCK SCHEDULE THURSDAY/FRIDAY!
Wednesday, September 9th 2015
" Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most
inexhaustable source of
magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it. "
1. What does this quote mean to you?
1. What does this quote mean to you?
2. When has someone used words (in a note, letter, song, in
person) that have inspired you?
3. When have you witnessed someone use words to hurt
someone? How could we help people stop using words to
hurt others?
4. Do you ever write for fun? What do you write and why?
poken word (15)
Intro to spoken word
definition:
Intro to spoken word
definition:
combination of poetry, voice, and power to relay messages to a wider audience.. We each have a story to tell and can use words to tell our stories.
Spoken word involves performance-based poetry that focuses on the aesthetics of word play and story-telling, that originated from the poetry of African Americans in Harlem. It often includes collaboration and experimentation with other art forms such as music, theater, and dance. There is no mandatory manner in which to perform spoken word, however, certain aspects of the artistry indicate that it is, indeed, spoken word. Spoken word usually tends to focus on the performance of the words themselves, the dynamics of tone, gestures, facial expressions, and more. Performers can weave in poetic components - such as rhyme, repetition, slang, improvisation, and many more elements of poetry - to create an atmosphere for the audience to experience.
question: How do our own personal literacies and personal voices contribute to our personal power as leaders? How can sharing our stories, and reading and learning about other people's stories , help us to be better leaders?
http://www.webexhibits.org/poetry/explore_21_performance_background.html
History of performance poetry:
History of performance poetry:
Let’s watch these examples:
- video examples of spoken word:
Share three things you notice with your group about these spoken words
Review: Elements of Spoken Word
Closing: Shout outs and Call outs!
THURSDAY/FRIDAY SEPTEMBER
10th-11th 2015
10th-11th 2015
Do Now:
I. R2D (5) - have your reading logs on your desk. Take out your books and get lost! Remember to respect the reading space and to choose a book you look forward to reading!
2o Minutes independent reading and
reading logs!
I. R2D (5) - have your reading logs on your desk. Take out your books and get lost! Remember to respect the reading space and to choose a book you look forward to reading!
2o Minutes independent reading and
reading logs!
II. Journal Launch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0lGcESiLWM
Life=Risk
1. What did this video leave you thinking about?
2. Describe a time you failed in life. How did you overcome it?
3. Describe a time someone you know failed in life. How did they overcome it?
4. What do you believe failure teaches us in life?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0lGcESiLWM
Life=Risk
1. What did this video leave you thinking about?
2. Describe a time you failed in life. How did you overcome it?
3. Describe a time someone you know failed in life. How did they overcome it?
4. What do you believe failure teaches us in life?
III. Where I'm From Poem (read poem aloud) (15)
Annotate in mesas
- Write questions in the margins
and
Annotate in mesas
- Write questions in the margins
and
-underline or highlight any words or phrases that have sensory details (smell, sight, sound, taste, touch)
IV. Read over "Where I'm From Poem assignment" (5)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1L1yLR18boWJbPp1TJ7aJigmtcwMhMftDyEiGxr8hCLw/edit
(Where I'm From)
(Ms. M version)
V. Work on Graphic Organizer independently
VI. Exit
HW: Finish
1) "where I'm from" Packet
- You may use the template or choose to write a rough draft on a separate sheet.
2) Write your full rough draft on classroom
Prepare for Tuesday's presentations of our poems.



No comments:
Post a Comment