Sunday, October 18, 2015

10/19/2015 - 10/23/2015

10/19/2015


Do Now: Take a chrome and submit your narrative RIGHT NOW if you haven't done it already. 

Choose your favorite paragraph or page of your narrative and decide how you will share your writing. Choices: You may read it, I can read it for you or you may choose a classmate to read it. You may share your favorite paragraph up to the entire narrative. 

Publishing Celebration: Narratives

Annotation Practice: Read the Tell-Tale Heart in its entirety and annotate at least one entire page using our common symbols. 

Homework: Complete reading and annotating one page of "The Tell-Tale Heart."

Exit: Shout-Outs and Call-Outs

10/20/2015

MISSION FIELD TRIP!!!! 

10/21/2015


Do Now: Is there any justifiable reason to kill another person? Why or why not?


By now, we should all have completed our
reading of "The Tell-Tale Heart." As most people do when they read this story, you may be forming an opinion about the character's motivation (why he did what he did). Some of you may think he is a calculated killer, mentally/insane or that there is a ghost driving him to do what he did. 

Graphic Organizer: Complete the graphic organizer by finding

 evidence to show both sides of the argument, that the killer is 

either insane or a calculated killer. On the bottom of the page, 

identify one theme in the story and write it in a sentence. 

Four Corners Activity: On posters, I have listed the options. Using your text and graphic organizers, write down your strongest evidence on the appropriate poster. 

Share Out and Review

Homework: Complete the "Tell-Tale Heart" Vocabulary study in preparation for tomorrow's socratic seminar. Keep in mind we will be using our graphic organizers and our story for the discussion and that it counts as an exam grade so come prepared. Double points are given for use of vocabulary terms!!! 

Exit: Shout-Outs and Call-Outs

10/22-23/2015


Do Now: Take out your independent reading book and get lost! Leave your vocabulary homework and graphic organizer on the top left-hand corner of your desk for a check! 

Graphic Organizer: Complete the graphic organizer by finding

 evidence to show both sides of the argument, that the killer is 

either insane or a calculated killer. On the bottom of the page, 

identify one theme in the story and write it in a sentence. 

Four Corners Activity: On posters, I have listed the options. Using your text and graphic organizers, write down your strongest evidence on the appropriate poster. 

Share Out and Review

Socratic Prep: Take twenty-five minutes to complete the socratic preparation sheet for the socratic seminar. Remember that appropriately using vocabulary terms results in double points!

We will continue with our whole group socratic. If you didn't get a chance to speak last time, OR if you were absent, be sure to participate today!

Notes to Remember:


You must not stop the discussion. If you want to finish 

talking, ask a question to another group member with 

expression such as, "Do you agree?" or "What is your 

opinion?"

  • Remember that a discussion is an analysis where to talk about idea openly and not an argument. 
  • You should not address the teacher but rather your group. The teacher is only an observer. 
  • You need to use evidence to support your ideas either from the reading, the author's or your own life. 


The phrases below should be used during the seminar to 

express your opinions and keep the discussion going.

Listening:

I see / get your point but...

I see / get what you mean but...

Not hearing:

I missed that, could you repeat it?

I am not sure I understand what you mean by ...

I am afraid I don't follow.

Responding when someone is speaking

Why is that?

Really?

I see.


Agreeing:

I tend to think...

In my experience...

I couldn't agree more.

Disagree:

I am not sure that is true.

I am not sure I agree with you.

I have to say, I disagree with you there.

On the other hand,...

Giving an opinion:

It is my opinion that...

I believe that...

Misc.

There is evidence to suggest that...

More importantly...

It is also true that...

You will be graded on your participation during the 

discussion. You must show that you thoroughly understand 

the text and have analyzed it. You will demonstrate this 

through your opinions expressed during the seminar.

No comments:

Post a Comment